A well-maintained furnace will provide you and your family with years of comfort. Preventative maintenance keeps furnaces operating at optimal efficiency, saving you money on your monthly fuel and utility bills.
A regularly scheduled furnace inspection from the experts at Bigham’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning also extends the service life of your furnace with proper care. There’s another important reason to consider scheduling regular furnace tune-ups: your family’s health. In our most recent blog, the technicians at Bigham’s discuss the dangers associated with high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) leaking in your house.
For all of your home’s heating and cooling needs, including tune-ups, installations and repairs, contact the trusted HVAC system experts at Bigham’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning.
The Furnace Combustion Process
Oil and gas furnace systems provide heat to your Bay Area house by burning fuel in the unit’s combustion chamber. A number of byproducts are created during the combustion process, including carbon monoxide, soot, and water vapor.
Furnaces are designed to vent almost every dangerous substance safely outside your home. Left unattended, however, substances can build up inside the chamber and on parts and equipment, causing corrosion. When parts corrode, dangerous fuel byproducts can leak into your home.
A very common cause of a furnace leaking CO is a cracked heat exchanger. A heat exchanger separates the clean heated air that is circulated throughout your home from the exhaust fumes that are vented outside. A crack in the metal panel in the appliance is very dangerous and could cause CO to leak out and through your vents.
Seasonal tune-ups make sure that parts and equipment are kept clean of corrosive materials.
Carbon Monoxide Leaks
Odorless, colorless, and tasteless, carbon monoxide is a substance that poses significant health dangers. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide leaks can lead to lasting health consequences and even death. Most homes and buildings have carbon monoxide detectors that are meant to detect CO due to the lack of obvious signs of carbon monoxide.
A carbon monoxide leak can be incredibly dangerous and can result in CO poisoning to anyone within the home where the carbon monoxide leak took place. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can vary from person to person, but the symptoms are generally described as being flu-like and prolonged exposure can cause brain damage and even death.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people who are sleeping can die from carbon monoxide poisoning without exhibiting the common flu-like symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The CDC recommends that all homeowners have gas-burning and oil-burning furnaces serviced by a professional HVAC system technician every year to prevent leaks.
Keeping You Safe is Our Top Priority
At Bigham’s, your family’s safety and comfort is always our first priority. We understand that the success of our Bay Area heating company depends on establishing long-term relationships with our customers.
A carbon monoxide leak is a very serious matter. In order to keep your family as safe as possible from carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure to get everyone out of the house the moment that your carbon monoxide detector goes off or anyone begins to exhibit symptoms. Your family’s safety relies on getting out of danger as quickly as possible.
We’re pleased to show our appreciation for those who enroll in our maintenance program with priority service. If your furnace ever breaks down while enrolled in the service program, you’ll receive the next six months of maintenance service at no charge. When it comes to your family’s well-being, seasonal furnace check-ups offer peace of mind. Call us at 707-307-6814 and enroll in our maintenance program today. For more information or to request a free quote, call or contact the heating and cooling experts at Bigham’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning today.